Building Department

The Building Department reports to the Town Administrator who reports to the Board of Selectmen. The Building Department is responsible for reviewing applications and plans to construct, alter or demolish any building or structure in the Town of Dover for compliance with applicable Town of Dover Zoning Bylaws and Massachusetts State Gas, Plumbing, Electrical, Building Codes and Chapter 40A and General Laws.

The Inspectors have to make field inspections at various stages of construction, as well as making inspections of all public buildings, churches and both private and public schools.

The Building Department must also respond to inquiries from attorneys, land surveyors, banks and the general public regarding zoning and building code problems or direct their calls to the proper authorities if it is not a building or zoning code matter.

The Board of Building Regulations and Standards strongly cautions building owners against applying for their own building permit. Reputable contractors will apply for the permit, acting as the owner’s agent and with the owner’s written authority. Your contractor may need to be both a licensed Construction Supervisor and a registered Home Improvement Contractor. If a contractor is reluctant to apply for the building permit on your behalf, it may be an indication that the contractor does not possess a license or a registration. Remember, for home improvement work covered by Chapter 142A of the General Laws you are EXCLUDED from reimbursement of up to $10,000 from the guaranty fund if you apply for your own building permit or if you do business with an unregistered contractor.

Filing Permits

Building, Wiring, Plumbing and Gas Permits must be stamped PAID by the Treasurer’s office. If submitted by mail they are to be addressed to: Town of Dover, PO Box 250, Attn: Treasurer’s Office, Permit Application Enclosed, Dover, MA 02030. Do not address to the Building Department or the application will be returned. No application will be accepted without the Treasurer’s paid stamp and incomplete applications will be returned even if paid so be sure all information is provided on the application.

Contacting the Building Department

Office Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 9:00am-3:00pm

Inspection Hours:
Monday-Thursday: 7:30am-9:00am and 3:00pm-4:00pm

Office Location: 1st floor of the Town House

Office: 508-785-0032 ext. 225
Building Inspector: 508-785-0032 ext. 225
Wiring Inspector: 508-785-0032 ext. 245
Plumbing and Gas Inspector: 781-444-3392

Fax: 508-785-8114

Mailing Address:
Building Department
P.O. Box 250
Dover, MA 02030

Position Employee Email or Phone
Inspector of Buildings and Zoning Enforcement Officer Walter Avallone
Gas, Plumbing Part time positions. Call the Build. Dept for details.
Wiring Inspector Kevin Malloy 508-785-0032 ext. 245

Dover Town Code Description of Responsibilities

Town Code

Building Inspector and Deputy Building Inspector
There shall be a Building Inspector and a Deputy Building Inspector appointed annually by the Board of Selectmen. The duties and authority of the Building Inspector and the Deputy Building Inspector shall include, but shall not be limited to, those specified in M.G.L. ch. 143, § 3.

Gas and Plumbing Inspector
There shall be a Gas and Plumbing Inspector appointed annually by the Building Inspector. The Gas and Plumbing Inspector’s duties and authority shall include, but shall not be limited to, those specified in M.G.L. ch. 142, § 11.

Wiring Inspector and Deputy Wiring Inspectors
There shall be a Wiring Inspector and one or more Deputy Wiring Inspectors appointed annually by the Board of Selectmen. The duties and authority of the Wiring Inspectors and the Deputy Wiring Inspectors shall include, but shall not be limited to, those specified in M.G.L. ch. 166, §§ 32, 32A.


Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a building permit for my project?
You need a building permit for any project to your home that is not cosmetic.

Do I need a permit for a fence?
You need a permit if the fence is over 6 feet in height.

Do I need a permit for a shed?
A permit is needed for one-story detached accessory buildings used as tool sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area exceeds 200 square feet.

How do I calculate the height of a roof?
Use the height of the highest point of the roof above the foundation plus the weighted average of the finished grade to the top of the foundation. This cannot exceed the Town of Dover Bylaw, Section 5.2 Schedule of Dimensional Requirements maximum of 35 feet.

What are the setbacks for any structure?
The Zoning Enforcing Officer will check the Schedule of Dimensional Requirements of the Town of Dover for you.

Can’t find what you are looking for? Ask a question.